Thursday, June 16, 2016

Celebrate!

With every crazy thing that's going on in the world, I want to share a conversation that has stuck with me with you.  I was greatly inspired and touched, and I hope that I can properly relay to you what I'm feeling!

A couple of days before this last Christmas, one of my students who is Hindu was getting ready to leave and hugged me and wished me a merry Christmas.  I smiled and returned the greeting...then I asked if she celebrated Christmas.  Her response resonated with my heart and is still reverberating in there as I type this right now.  She smiled and in her very thick accent, said very simply, "I celebrate EVERYTHING!"  What??  I chuckled and questioned her enthusiastic response.  She went on to explain that she lived in a very diverse neighborhood with people from all over the word.  The people in this neighborhood literally celebrate everything!  She said to me, "ALL of the celebrations and festivals are beautiful, and I have learned so much about the different people in the world!  We have cuisine from every place on earth and we celebrate our differences."

Now hold on...people from all different religions, different cultures, different places embrace each other and celebrate with each other?  In a tiny corner of the world here in the good 'ol USA, people are accepting and celebrating each other!  I've always said that just because I may not agree with what someone believes, there's no reason that I can't love them just the same.

We are so quick to judge others and it breaks my heart.  The vicious judgement runs rampant - from one political party to the other, religion vs. religion, lifestyle vs. lifestyle, parents vs. parents...I think you can see where I'm going here.  I've thought a lot about what is going on in the world recently.  I'm ashamed of the human race as a result.  Here we have this beautiful planet to live on and we kill each other, hate each other, criticize each other, abuse the animals here, and take whatever we please without giving back.  

I hate to be cliche, but can't we all just get along?  What do you suppose would happen if we started loving each other?  If we saw people in need, no matter how small the need, and actually helped?  Can you imagine the power we would have if we lifted each other up and supported one another instead of tearing each other down?  We all make mistakes...whether we choose to admit it or not.  Could it be possible to forgive and forget and simply move on?  

Choosing love instead of hate is a pretty simple thing.  You absolutely do not have to agree with someone to love them.  I challenge you to do one thing nice for someone in the coming days.  Give someone a hug when they need it.  Write (yes, with pen and paper) someone a quick note to let them know that they're doing a great job - at anything!  Compliment someone and actually mean it.  Pay for the guy behind you in line at the coffee shop.  Give someone a grocery store bouquet of flowers.  Get the idea?  Kindness doesn't cost a thing - let's spread it everywhere!

I wish you love in your thoughts, love in your words, and love in your heart!

Always,
Sunny XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment