The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint Exupery is my very favorite book of all time. I've owned and misplaced many copies over the years, and it currently resides on my Nook. Every now and again, I read it from start to finish as if it were the first time. Yes, it is a "children's" book.
In this book that was written by a French author for children, there are several lessons to be learned. Yes, I know. This lesson teaching business is a common theme in books that are intended for children. I think that it is no coincidence that this simple book has been translated into just about every known language. For those of you who are not familiar with this book, the main character is a Little Prince that lives alone on a tiny planet. He spends his days tending his volcanoes, keeping the baobabs at bay, and enjoying as many sunrises as he pleases. One day, a plant that turns out to be a rose grows on his planet. Unfortunately, the rose is very vain and needy. She starts to take over his life and one day he decides that he's had enough of her. Even though he loves her very, very much, her demands are too taxing on his kindness and he leaves to go explore the planets around him.
On his journey, he meets several adults and learns about matters of consequence. Adults are always concerned with matters of consequence! Children want to know things about their friends like what their favorite color is, what games they like to play, and what their favorite flower is. Adults want to know what you do for work, how much money you make, and how much your house and car cost. (There is so very much more to the story, but I'll let you read it for yourself.) The whole concept is kind of messed up if you think about it. What have we become?
Recently, I have discovered some things about myself. I learned that playing games with my friends at lunch makes for a much better work day. We laugh and act as if we have no cares, if only for an hour. I learned that I'm able to find the bright spot in a nasty situation. When my checking account was emptied without my consent by a thief, I decided to focus on what was good. I have someone that loves me enough to know that feeding me Mexican food can make just about anything better. I also have food to eat, gas in my car, a roof over my head, and a job where I can earn a pay check. A week with an empty checking account is seriously not going to kill me. It could absolutely, positively be worse. What if I had no support system and that money was to pay my rent or buy groceries to feed a child? There are people that are literally a single missed check away from having nothing left at all.
Despite everything that is going on in this nasty, mean world of ours, I still believe that there are good people out there. People that care and want this world to be better. See, that's the part of me that's still 10 years old. At this point I'm certain that it always will be. I still have faith. I still carry around this head full of crazy fairy tales and hope that they'll come true. Laughter and silliness still thrill my heart, and a random hug can completely make my day. Little things like seeing a groundhog or a yard full of lightning bugs make me smile and put a strange feeling peace in my heart. Somehow, some way, there's bound to be a way that everything will work out. Love will eventually win. Right?
"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye." Antoine de Saint Exupery
My sincere hope is that maybe we can all start seeing with our hearts and stop trying to see so much with our eyes. I beg of you - please find your 10 year old self. Tell them that love and silliness are essential. Hug them and allow them to embrace the beauty that is around us every single day. You are forever responsible for that which you have tamed.
Love. Always.
Sunny
No comments:
Post a Comment