Tonight when I got in from work, I ate a bite of dinner and settled in for some quiet time. Due to the fact that someone very dear to me is in some pretty bad pain, I threw on some capris and a t-shirt to tromp out into the rain to retrieve some super strength Tylenol to complete the Advil & Tylenol cocktail needed to make the poor man stop wincing in pain. I automatically grabbed for the first shirt I could find. This shirt just happened to be my Luckenbach t-shirt. I got this shirt on a trip down to Luckenbach once upon a time. For those of you who don't know the significance of this place that I'm talking about, Google it. For those of you who know the sanctity of said place, you understand why a memento from such a place would be pretty cool to own. Well, if you live in East Texas like I did, it was cool. Now that I live about 45 minutes from it, it somehow loses some of the coolness. When in the hell did that happen anyway? I still fully appreciate the significance of the hallowed little town on the creek that Hondo Crouch so lovingly brought to life. I understand that Willie's infamous 4th of July picnic pretty much became famous because of this little patch of earth. And those of us who were lucky enough to have encountered Marge when she was still among us understand that her snippy attitude wasn't her being hateful, it was really more of a form of tough love. And if you've ever had to use the restroom there, you've likely fought off a tribe of dirt daubers and managed to hold the curtain to maintain a shred of decency. Why is it that being in close proximity to something makes it less cool to sport your mementos from said place? It's funny that when I lived in Tyler, an Austin's t-shirt was just plain bad ass. Down here, it's much cooler to have a Racket and Jog t-shirt. Could it be a form of a bragging right that you've been somewhere out of your territory that's cool? Is the place any less awesome because you're closer to it? Are there other things that lose that magic over the years?
Well, I proudly sported my beloved green Luckenbach t-shirt to the Super S tonight. Maybe I'm a geek. Or maybe I've just stopped giving a rat's ass what people think about me. Flying by the seat of my pants seems to be going swimmingly for me thus far. And for the first time in a very long time, I'm saying "Me first!" I'm here to tell you - it's pretty freeing to stop caring what society thinks about you and start caring what you think about you. In case you haven't taken notice lately, society is seriously jacked up! To quote one of my very favorite websites of all time (www.hotghettomess.com) "If you're not appalled, you're not paying attention!" I, personally, am appalled! People. Are. Nuts. End of discussion. So, wear your mementos, sticker your cars with goofy stickers, and play your happy music every time you get the chance. We're only here once, folks. No dress rehearsals, no take backs. Carpe diem!! The very wise man Theodor Seuss Geisel - aka Dr. Seuss - once said "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Let that one roll around in your cranium a bit. I don't know if there have ever been any truer words written. Be kind to each other, and live for today.
Still hanging out in my very cool Luckenback t-shirt,
Sunny
No comments:
Post a Comment